SailNet Community - View Single Post - Technology vs. using senses (and common sense)
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Technology vs. using senses (and common sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
It is tempting to just extract from the report this little tidbit and dismiss the whole thing
Sailboat, Hunter 30
(Just kidding)
Didn't want to say it in the OP, but I was waiting for that! Didn't take long!
Ironic ain't it? (or...is it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
But the truth is the captain of the Hunter was licensed by the government and has been sailing, or at least has owned boats, for more than 20 years. Therefore I conclude that he is either a fool or was drunk. There is no mention in the report of him being intoxicated.
I noticed that as well. I've checked out three different incident reports on the site. All were excellent and very thorough. One listed sleep deprivation as a probable contributing cause pertaining to a tug crew, but none have even mentioned sobriety, or even tests. Surely a commercial (tug) crew would be tested with millions of dollars in damage involved. In addition, would this clown have been allowed to continue (12 miles no less) if he was drunk?

The site does say it's purpose is not to asses blame. However if alcohol or drugs (possibly prescribed) were a factor (as seems to me, the only plausible explanation in this case), I would think they would mention it.
I suspect the Canadian SN member who first provided a link to the site in another thread will chime in anytime now, and may clear this up for me.

In any case, the site is very informative, and I think the US should have a similar one. Unfortunately, apparetnly many states (including California) don't allow the USCG to release the information to the public.

Last edited by L124C; 02-02-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook