SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Pelicano Missing In Action

Sorry I have been so quiet these last two weeks. After 10 years with the same firm, I resigned and took a job at different firm. I spent several weeks transitioning my old job to new people, then spent last week getting accustomed to my new job with new people.

One big challenge with the new job is that I am now having to commute from my house to the office. The first day I attempted to drive the 77km and it took 2.5 hours. So I resolved the next day to take the train. But when you factor in the 20 minute drive to the train station, the 70 minute train ride, and the 5 minute shuttle van ride from the train station to the office building, I am still looking at a very long round-trip commute each day. Previously, I have been working from my home every day.

Alas, there is no WiFi internet on the train, and my mobile reception is sketchy over a long stretch of the ride. So not really able to visit this thread going back and forth to work.

However, on the positive side, my office is right next to the water, along the harbour in Stamford, CT. So, of course, now I am thinking that perhaps the time to acquire the performance cruiser may be sooner rather than later, if I can figure out what to do during the winter months. I noticed that there are still quite a few boats in the water, despite the very cold weather (-10C to -20C some days), though the harbour has not frozen. But living aboard in those conditions would not be very much fun. Perhaps it is good enough to be able to live on the boat, near the office, from May until the end of November. Would save money in commuting and allow me to go sailing after work very easily, in summer.

For this reason, I am now looking very long and hard at the Elan 320 (not the 210) and trying to figure out if it's financially viable.

Anyway, I'll do my best to keep up here and contribute. It's my favorite site on the Web.