SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Boats
Thread: Cruising Boats
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Cruising Boats

Hello

I think you may want to give some consideration as to just how important the aft cabin is to you. I think it will be very difficult to find a boat that fits your criteria, with an aft cabin, in good shape at your price point.

Jeff has put together a very nice list but most of those boats do not have an aft cabin and others are hard to find. Many other people also consider the draft of some boats on the list to be a significant limitation. Jeff''s list does concentrate on performance vs offshore capability as asked for in the request above. The Beneteau Frist 38 (not a Moorings) does seem to fit most of your criteria and is well thought of... however, I personally found the berths to be quite small (and I am not a big guy) in the 3 cabin model. Also, I am not sure you can find a First, in good shape, at that price.

Jeff DID list the Morgan 382. I think this boat is a very good offshore design ... for the money. But, it is significantly slower than the stated goal above, has quite a bit of exterior teak and again does not have an aft cabin. I was thinking about this boat in my initial search but in the end found the quality of the joinery below to be not at all to my liking (I did not look at a 384 in good condition... and those are above 60k at any rate).

I think you should also consider boat construction and investigate the issue of cored vs uncored hulls. C&C''s are cored hulls and while they are very good boats, many that I have seen going for a good price have been ''rode hard and put away wet''. The C&C Landfall 38 has been talked up a bit in other places which prompted me to look at one. Jeff''s prediction at the time was correct, it was of much lesser quality than other boats in the C&C line. I did not consider a reasonable offshore boat.

Coming to a firm decision regarding the aft cabin and hull construction alone should focus your search significantly. If you can live without a private aft cabin, there will be many good offshore boats to select from, in your price range. If you truly wish to have a real aft cabin and are willing to sacrifice speed for it, that will point you in a different direction (again, in this price range).

If you are set in your requirements but become more realistic in price, then that opens up yet another set of boats.

You can do different searches (age range, price etc)on Yachtworld.com and see how that affects your choices. It is an interesting exercise.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook