SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Just curious... A number of people of said they cruise on $500 per month (or $6,000 per year) because that is all the money they have. The US Federal poverty level for a single individual is an income less than $11,400 per year (2013) That would suggest such cruisers (if in the US) are eligible for Federal and State aid.

I can understand that disclosure of this kind would be a touchy subject. Also that just because one can does not mean one does take advantage of any particular program. But I am curious on two fronts:
1) Do cruisers take advantage of Federal (and State) assistance programs?
2) Does living on a boat create any particular challenge when taking advantage of such a program? I know that I have run afoul of various bureaucracies since my domicile and legal address is in Wisconsin, my mailing address is in New Jersey, and my residence address is wherever I happen to be.
Mine is via disability and I am eligible for 187 a month in USDA food assistance you just need to prove a mailing address and a pmb or po box does that its however only useable in the state that it was issued in. Here's a link to check eligibility Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) | Food and Nutrition Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook