SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full refit or Partial
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Full refit or Partial

In 2010 we decided to buy a bigger boat tio eventually go long term cruising. We first set a financial goal so that we would have enough to buy a boat, refurb it, cruise comfortably and return with some money in the bank. Our estimations put us at 5 years to achieve this goal.

First order of business was to purchase a good late model boat and live aboard until we left. This allowed us to learn all the systems and replace what we felt was necessary either for safety, efficiency, functional or aesthetic reasons. We purchased a boat 8/2010 and moved aboard full time 10/2010.

We have managed to meet our financial goal ahead of time and be leaving in May. We have done most all the projects but know there will always be things to be done as we cruise. Isn't that the definition of cruising anyway? I have actually started accumulating the necessary parts to work on some projects after we depart. Right now we are concentrating on projects that are easier performed at a dock; sewing, polishing, etc.

We did and will do all the work ourselves. Just yesterday I sewed new filler cushions for our salon settee to make it into a double.

One last major project will be to replace the chartplotter and radar. We did this when we first bought the boat but I used older equipment then and I want some of the features newer equipment offers.

So I guess i am in the second category. Have done this with 3 boats now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook