SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Mike,

Free WIFI abounds in Asia, every cafe, bar, restaurant, girly bar,barber shop has it. In some anchorages we can pick up the signal while anchored.

Subscription type plans are available for usually around 30 bucks a month.

I got a FREE sim cel phone card with 10 Baht, a tourist promo to call home. Calls to the USA are around 3 cents a minute. I struggle to spend 10 bucks a month on phone use age

Kids here can recharge cel phones for a little as 5 baht (15 cents).

Telcoms are making huge money off you folks. great dividends on the stocks too....

OK, so you want to know what 500 bucks a month got us last year?

Marina Berth 130.00 (100 Malaysian Ringit per week) ( free wifi included) + a 50 Ringit restaurant voucher per week. Good for a Pizza, Burger and two soft drinks. Other cruisers left to travel and gave us additional vouchers.... we had some fun times taking people out dinner....for FREE.

Gym membership 100.00 We were getting ready to trek in Nepal so spent the afternoons training in the Gym.

30-35 dollars a week in the local wet market for fresh food, meat fruit veggies.

The rest was spent on eating out, bus rides, local touring and a few drinks around town.

Nor sure we even spent the entire 500.00

All I do know is in Asia it is Possible! You don't have to live like a bum, be a skin flinnt or look like a destitute 1st world sailor.

As I said in an earlier post, You guys gotta a get out a bit......

I'll give you and update what the last three months have cost....for cruising in some of the best waters in the world.
Yes, I was certainly impressed at the 'affordability' of Thailand when I was there about 6 years ago, a cruiser's dollar can go a very long way where you are...

However, such cruising destinations appear to be somewhat the exception, rather than the rule, these days... Good luck getting the same bang for your buck in places like the Eastern Caribbean, most of N America, the Med/Baltic/all of Europe, just to name a few... :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook