SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
How many Mc'donald s are out in the world ? Everyone I have visited has free internet the Public library I am sure others can name more hot spots.
Hmmm, not many McD's in places like the Bahamas, for instance, last time I was there... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Still I think if you are out on less than $500 internet might not be worth it to your life style, Why would you need to hear what Bill Gates and Microsoft are doing or what Justin Beaver's latest stunt happens to be ? A game of Chess Or getting a fish on the line might mean more than a half hour on the PC. Your view of the world might be so totally different.
Good Day, Lou
I think you're overlooking the utility and importance of internet access for many cruisers, today... Obtaining weather info, keeping in touch with family/aging parents, and so on... Oh, and ordering replacement parts for watermakers... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
The entire island of Rarotonga is covered by free wifi. Everywhere. No passwords no fees, no licences.

Out amongst the islands, the wifi is often government funded because many residents can't afford it. It is likely to expand.
Yes, that's the case in a place like Newfoundland, as well...

But in many more popular cruising destinations, it seems to be increasingly difficult to find free wifi... The Bahamas are a good example, I've found your best chances of doing so are in the more remote spots... Places where cruisers gather in droves, the Abacos, Georgetown/Exumas, etc seem to have gone almost exclusively to for profit subscription services, a free unsecured connection can be all but impossible to find...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook