SailNet Community - View Single Post - why so long?
Thread: why so long?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
You poor, deprived, benighted young whippersnappers never heard of Rube Goldberg?

Rube Goldberg : Home of the Official Rube Goldberg Machine Contests

13 Crazy Genius Rube Goldberg Machines
i would tend to think that power doors and power windows, on a car, are good examples of making a simple thing far more complicated and expensive than is necessary...and everyone accepts them as being a good idea

heck, electric starters on a motorcyle are another good example. i got rid of my electric starter and run my chopper kick start only. think about it. a kick starter is a simple level. kick it downwards and the bike starts. add an electric starter and you need a bigger battery, starter gears, a solenoid, extra wires of the heavy sort and the skinny sort, and a button on the handlebar....all so someone can push a button with their fingers instead of pushing a lever with their foot.

humans just love to find the most complicated way to do stuff. isn't that why we gave up carburators and points,( both easy to work on, dependable, and inexpensive to repair), and went to computer controlled fuel injection and electronic ignition( both of which are more complex to work on, less reliable [ think about how many times you end up replacing various sensors ], require special tools and equipment, and far more expensive to repair) ?

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 02-03-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook