SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie in need of reality check
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007

TheRoutens is on a distinguished road
Newbie in need of reality check

Hi all,

I'm a relative newbie and I'm hoping a few folks can tell me if an idea I have is even feasible.

My family and I are planning on getting a boat in the next few years with the plan to liveaboard for a few years, then begin an extended cruise. We live in the Portland, OR area so the majority of our sailing for the first few years would be on the Columbia river. Then, when we can cut the lines, we'd like to head south to CA for a while to visit with her family. Eventually we'd like to get to the Gulf coast and cruise the Gulf ICW and the East Coast ICW.

Here is my question: Would a Catalina 380 or 400 be up for that kind of trip? I'd be willing to truck the boat from CA to TX in order to get to the Gulf coast w/o going through the ditch, although I think that would be quite an experience in itself.

My main concern is the trip down the OR/CA coast as I understand that can get pretty rough.

We're looking at a coastal cruiser as it would have the room to be comfortable while I'm still working, and we can get into a boat that is less than 10 years old at a price we can afford.

We are planning to eventually cross the Atlantic, and maybe even do a circumnavigation. I'm well aware that we would need to change boats before that happens.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

- Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook