SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Boats
Thread: Cruising Boats
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2002

KPBaker is on a distinguished road
Cruising Boats

Thanks for all the input in regard to my search for a larger boat to meet my needs. Jeff...I''ve never been aboard an Elite 37 but saw one for sale on a website and the boat appeared to match the criteria I had set.The information you''ve provided to me is very important.I''m not a rich man by any means and must do this right the first time. I''ve only owned two boats in my life (actually the bank still owns the second one with me) : ^ ) and more than likely my next boat purchase will be my last one.I have sailed on a few of the boats you''ve listed, while others I''ve only seen pictures of.I''m trying to finalize my list to 5 potential canidates and then spend the time in the yards to find the right one.Valdare...I appreciate the input on the Morgan 384 as well.I think the Morgan 382 or 384 will be in my final 5 list.I believe it was the magazine "Sailing" that provided a vey positive in-depth article about the Morgan 38 footers.While it''s slower than some of the other boats listed it might be a trade off that I can live with.Also the price of the used Morgans is more in line with what I can afford.The teak exterior trim is also another item I will have to weigh out. I love the "look" of a traditional boat. Both boats I''ve had to this point have been traditional designs (Brass portals,deck fittings,and lots of teak)When maintained, to me there isn''t a more attractive boat. However, the boat I choose will be a "retirement boat" and I''m getting lazier each year.Of course, I could "just let it go" unmaintained, but that''s not me either. I will wrestle with this decision. JohnDrake...You raised some very ligitimate points. You mentioned a Beneteau 38.I sailed aboard one last summer and was very impressed.One potential problem for purchase of one of these boats will be finding one in good shape for the price range I have to work with. It seems most of the boats I''ve seen for sell have been in the charter boat fleets and have really been worked hard. I agree with your assesment of the berth size, but again it might be a trade off I can accept since the boat does meet all the other criteria I''ve set. The aft cabin is pretty important to me.More than likely,my daughter and I will be living aboard the boat for a few years and she always fusses about me leaving "my stuff" lying around. You know how women are? With an enclosed aft cabin, I can at least close the door and keep her off my case for awhile. Lastly, to all...you guys have given me much information to enter into my equation that will help me obtain the correct solution. The wealth of information supplied from contributors of this board is astounding!As I progress along in my search, I''m sure I will have additional questions.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook