SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unexplained phenomena while sailing...
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I, too, am an avid amateur astronomer. Once, out in the desert near Palm Springs, I was looking up star hopping to Andromeda when I saw a small, pinpoint light, probably around Magnitude 3 or 4, slowly cruising North to South. Nothing unusual, I'm used to seeing satellites flying overhead. This one was unusual, however, because about half way across the sky, it stopped dead in it's tracks. It then brightened to appoximately Magnitude 1 for about 60 seconds, then receded back to it's original brightness, and then started moving to the South again. I had the distinct impression that during the time it had stopped it was actually descending closer to Earth, hence why it became brighter. To this day I have no idea what it was.

Eric... I've seen objects that do change direction and so have the space shuttle cameras... they also recorded objects changing 90 degrees after stopping for an instant.

Glad there is another amateur astronomer on these boards... I have an Orion Astroview 120 refractor (my best refractor) and a Meade LX200... seen some stuff lighting up on the Moon one time but didn't have the camera set up. What's your set up? Star parties, etc.

TimR... suggest you get a VW moon hubcap... works better!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook