SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unexplained phenomena while sailing...
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 02-03-2014 Thread Starter
guitarguy56

Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I have a Meade ETX-125 with a Celestron PowerTank and a Celestron 90EQ Refractor. As you know, the Meade takes a bit of time to set up, so I keep the Celestron handy to pull out for a quick look around. I bought the Celestron about fifteen years ago and it was old when I bought it. But, it has Japanese glass that is phenomenal! Even old-timers are impressed by it. I can resolve three or four of Jupiter's bands in good air. I really love my Meade, and would equally love an LX200, but I just don't have the space right now. I had it "supercharged" by Dr. Clay at the Arkansas Sky Observatory, and I would suggest this service to anyone with a GOTO mount. With proper alignment, everything that I goto ends up dead center of the eyepiece.Weasner's Meade ETX TechTips

I usually attend the semi-monthly Star Party at the Seal Beach Pier. Good bunch of folks. Not always the best seeing, but fun nonetheless! Astronomy Night-Star Party Bogart's Coffee House
Nice optics there Eric... would kill to get some older optics from the 70's...

I was a member of Boeing's Astronomical Society back in the mid 2000's when doing work on the 787 systems... we had a place up in Snowqualmie, WA... elevation was 2200 ft. so clear of Seattle lights... very dark and clear most times we went for a party... There were other places they had set up with other clubs but a long drive to get there...

Savannah doesn't have much by way of star parties but occasionally they have one on Oatland Island, pretty clear of lights since it's on a wildlife refuge... I have a pair of high power binoculars when I was on the sailboat in Everett and once passed the lights off Mukilteo the night sky opens up.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome