SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unexplained phenomena while sailing...
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Nice optics there Eric... would kill to get some older optics from the 70's...

I was a member of Boeing's Astronomical Society back in the mid 2000's when doing work on the 787 systems... we had a place up in Snowqualmie, WA... elevation was 2200 ft. so clear of Seattle lights... very dark and clear most times we went for a party... There were other places they had set up with other clubs but a long drive to get there...

Savannah doesn't have much by way of star parties but occasionally they have one on Oatland Island, pretty clear of lights since it's on a wildlife refuge... I have a pair of high power binoculars when I was on the sailboat in Everett and once passed the lights off Mukilteo the night sky opens up.
You can bet that if I ever head down South on a boat, I'm going to pack one (or both) to go with me! I lived in Palm Springs for a decade and would head up to Joshua Tree National Park a couple of times a year. At the back of the park you are, literally, hundreds of miles from light pollution. It was why I bought a telescope in the first place. Living in the city now, I actually use my Meade more for looking at the sun now. I splurged and bought an H-Alpha filter that really shows a lot of solar detail.H-Alpha