SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You mean not even furlers for the forward sails (Genoa), Code 0, Geenaker?
Do you sail that one alone? I believe this discussion had to do with a big boat that could be sailed alone or with a little help from the wife.

Can you tell of what boat you are talking about? I am sure it is not your case but some talk about what were 20 or 30 years ago performance cruisers as if they could still be considered performance cruisers when in fact their performances and weight are now similar to the one of a contemporary cruiser. What people call a performance cruiser is not always the same. Just to understand better of what you are talking about.

Regards

Paulo
Paulo

Adams 45 is the design of the 45 foot performance cruiser. It's very easy for me to sail alone.

Yes on the 65 footer ( Length on Deck) I have no furlers for any sail. Furlers are nice and easy but they add weight aloft, a lot of windage and they take time to furl on a big boat. I find it safer and quicker to drop the whole sail. I wouldn't go back to furlers again I had too many problems and even shredded sails and boats knocked down due to delays getting sail in with furlers.

In clement weather there is no problem sailing a big boat alone for shorter legs, but it's nice to have a self tacking autopilot. Alone you are always on watch in any sized boat which is a limitation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook