SailNet Community - View Single Post - I won my first race! Thanks John H!
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
I won my first race! Thanks John H!

I am happy to report that yesterday while singlehandling a catalina capri 22', I ran into another identical boat.

We decided to race and, I won!

It was a real rush, it was my first time racing another boat.(also singlehandled) so we were even matched.

Not only did I move faster than the boat, but I moved WAY faster. We were both on a beam reach, the other boat was about quarter mile ahead of me, I zoomed up right along side of him within about 5 minutes. It was fun watching the other guy wondering "How is he moving that fast!?"

I continued moving right along his port side, slamming through the water. the wind was 7-9 knots from our port side. came right along side of him, and my sails blocked out his wind a little bit, and I rocketed ahead and kept the other boat in my wake.

How satisfying I might just get hooked on racing.

How did I win?

Well, I think it's all thanks to all those articles John H posted on proper traveler use(use Search to find them if you haven't read it, you must.)

The other guy had his traveller incorrectly set for the wind conditions and the main too tight = drag and less lift.

I was able to get my main shaped beautifully, and presto! Rocket Speed!

So thanks to you guys from this forum, it just shows that reading stuff here just might actually occasionally help you out on the water

Kacper
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook