SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I'll point out my former step-daughter as an example of why the poor are often poor.

She would constantly complain about never having any money while smoking two packs of cigarettes a day (about $10 a day or $300 a month).

I constantly tried to get her to understand the math of saving $10 a day, and what it could mean for her future life, but it completely fell on deaf ears.

She will never understand why she is poor and will remain convinced until the day she dies, that it is someone else's fault.

And, to the point of the thread. There are always decent sailboats for sale down here for under $3650 ($10 a day x 365) and none of them would cost more than $300 a month in maintenance once you bought them.

I bought my first sailboat, a Hobie 16, for $1600, used, with a trailer and a good set of sails. I bought my second one for $250, in 2005 (it had two holes in one pontoon that I fixed myself for $50). Again, a good set of sails and a trailer came with it. I was driving along and saw it by the side of the road with a 'for sale' sign on it. I couldn't believe it. They thought it was ruined. I bought it thinking it didn't even have sails, when the woman told me I would have to come get the sails out of her attic myself! They looked brand new.

I refuse to believe that there are people who really want to sail who can't come up with that kind of money.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook