SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Preparation
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane Preparation

Where I live, we probably go through more hurricanes than any place on earth. My boats have survived three of them at anchor, two Cat I's and one Cat III, with only very minor damage.

I was between sailboats for Katrina, and probably 98 per cent of the boats here were destroyed (mostly by not being prepared for the 30 plus foot surge, rather than the wind). But, I had a friend who rode it out successfully on a gigantic storm anchor, who even stayed on his boat (I wouldn't have). His biggest concern, he said, was not the wind, but rather the hundreds of boats he watched get blown by his boat, during the storm.

The main thing, is to have a plan, before a named storm is heading your way. Pick out your hurricane hole, and a back up, and go explore them with a sounder. Pick out exactly where you will tie your lines, put out your anchors, etc. Having a smaller boat with an engine is really handy, for running out lines and anchors easily, and for getting back if your hurricane hole is in the sticks, which most good ones are.

Strip off the sails, canvas, dodgers, and biminis: they will be damaged or destroyed if you leave them on. Windage is your enemy. I always run my spare halyards as back ups to the forestay. I don't know if it helps, but it has never hurt.

They are survivable by your boat. We survive them on a regular basis here, mostly from having learned what to do and not do, from trial and error.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook