SailNet Community - View Single Post - Now this is strange. Australia
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kacper-

It is possible, that even in rougher condtions, the silverware would have stayed on the table as set. This is a catamaran, not a monohull.

Second, anyone who gets off a sailboat in the middle of the ocean with the sails still raised is a complete idiot, unless the boat is either on fire or sinking. The jib and mainsail are still up. Most sailors, even if they were completely becalmed, would lower the sails before getting in the water.

The fenders really don't tell us much. They could have just left the fender over the side. It isn't like they'll be dragging in the water much, as they would on a monohull, which heels significantly when under sail.

Many multihulls don't carry a liferaft, as they're basically close to unsinkable, so the missing liferaft may not mean anything. Unless there was an open liferaft canister or valise, there is no evidence that the boat had a liferaft at all.

I'm also highly doubtful that it was rough conditions that did it. Most people don't prepare a meal and set a table for rough conditions sailing. Also, I doubt they would have just left a meal sitting out if they were going to the aid of another boat, even if it was Kacper's highly unlikely boat of naked women.

My guess would be that an accident occurred and resulted in a MOB situation. Experienced sailors might not look at a MOB situation as something to trigger an EPIRB or call for help on the VHF about. You might keep the sails up for a MOB recovery attempt. However, a large catamaran is generally a lousy boat for MOB recovery due to the high freeboard. It is possible that the two people or person who remained on-board fell in trying to recover the MOB. This scenario might also explain the lack of missing life jackets. However, I see a life ring on the stern railings, and beileve that they would have thrown that to the MOB in such a situation, so it makes the idea of a MOB situation causing the disappearance a bit less likely.

A modern day Marie Celeste perhaps?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook