SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

They are waiting for us to help. They are waiting for us to clean up the Rivers and coastal regains all over the eastern seaboard.
I was out fishing over 4 and half years ago when I noticed all these abandoned boats on the waterways of Beaufort South Carolina.
I drove through row after row of boats, primarily sailboats, stored in a disgraceful manner in a watery grave. In the elements they only last a few years. There was every make, model and flavor that you could ever think of. They were sloops and yaws, beautiful older wooden Down Easters, Most were covered to varying degrees in bird poop, and mildew, but under that, you could still get a feel for once glamorous condition. Some were far gone, even by my low standards; they represent death, the end, the point of no return. Many, in fact most of these boats were still salvageable. All of them are old, and they are there for almost free.

Most of these boats have long stories to tell. They have years of stories of exciting races, scary weather, harrowing near collisions. They once had romantic weekends at anchor where lovers cooked romantic, simple dinners on weak, alcohol stoves, and skinny dipping in the moonlight. Family cruises where kids would dive off of the stern and swim in the cove, with lunches of PB&J sandwiches, and sterno dinners

You can make it happen. I know. I did it. I located one of the owners of an abandoned C&C 30MK1 yacht. I worked out a deal with the owner and that old abandoned eye sore lying at anchor in the river is now mine. She is a strikingly beautiful 1981 vantage yacht, completely restored and sailing the weekends away. It cost me $2,500 bucks to call her mine and over the next 3 years and a lot of work, Oh and more money. I think she well worth the work
and money.

I make well under $100, grand I dont want stuff, never have. Its all about choices. Do ya want freedom or do you want stuff. Get rid of the latter and go sailing.
Cheers LT

Last edited by ltgoshen; 02-04-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook