SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Chines

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
and i forgot to mention that we talk here about planing hulls - and NOT hulls which only operate in displacement mode...
and now show me any of these mass-production cruisers with their hard chines aft ever reaching planing speeds...
the racing derivates like all the pogos leave aside please... benetaus, jeanneus, bavaris, hanses and that kind of breed is what i am talking about...
Sorry, I did not saw this post and that's why I did not understood well the next one

Yes, the cruisers that are designed to reach planing speed are not many but several performance cruisers are: All the JPK, Archambault, all the Pogo cruisers, Cigale and many more but you are right pointing out that is not the case with Beneteaus or the typical mass production cruiser or even the typical mass production performance cruiser.

But I guess that by now You have already understood what I am trying to say: The chines on Benetau also serve to increase boat stiffness at the best upwind angle and make sailing easier but they are not there to facilitate planing and are not designed the same way the ones used on a planing boat are.

Chines, If well designed, on a cruising boat or in a racing boat can increase stiffness and make sailing easier but the similitude stops there. The way a hull is designed and the way chines are used is not the same on a boat designed to plan and on a cruising boat that sails in displacement mode.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook