SailNet Community - View Single Post - 16 Months at adrift at Sea
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: 16 Months at adrift at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Give me a full list of expected medical conditions and likely causes and I will try to explain how to prevent them at sea and being of central american decent and commercial fishermen
Working outdoors all the time low probability for sunburn.
Haemochromatosis - (Iron overload due to ingestion solely of raw fish and bird blood).
Hypernatremia - (Caused by dehydration and continued raw blood ingestion).
Hydrarayria - (Mercury poisoning resulting from subsisting solely on raw fish for extended periods).

I'm not arguing that it would be impossible to survive months at sea. Others have done it. But, on a long enough timeline, there comes a time when the human body can no longer subsist or survive on a diet of raw seafood and bird blood. From a physiological perspective, that timeline will expire well before the twelve month mark, let alone thirteen, or even sixteen, as was originally reported. Now, I'm sure that you could provide anectdotal evidence of someone who survived severe dehydration over an extended period, say, 90 days on the outside. But, we're talking at least 390 days here. And I'm saying that from a medical stand point, I question the validity of the story.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook