SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #6023 of Old 02-04-2014
bobperry
grumpy old man

Re: Interesting Sailboats

"Chines come and were developed on solo racers"

Get real Paulo. Have you never seen a Star Class sailboat? Chines have been around forever. We had chines before anyone knew what a "solo racer" was. Should I list the succesful chine boats over the last 100 years? It willbe a long list. I sailed an OK Dinghy when I was a kid. It was a good boat. It had chines. This was 1963.

"designed to be as fast as possible within the limits of a box rule and that nowadays all have sharp chines."

The TP52 is the most succesful of the box rule classes and they do not have chines. Be careful how you use the term "box rule" it is very specific. In fact the sterns of the fastest TP52's are what I'd call "anti-chine". Keep in mind these boats have to race upwind and down.

"On the other hand there’s the “open” formula racing yachts, designed to be as fast as possible within the limits of a box rule and that nowadays all have sharp chines. "

Yes, I agree and that is because these boat are designed to be sailed off the wind predominantly. They have huge rigs and can be pushed to planing speed by skilled crews thus making the chines very effective for over hull speed performance off the wind.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 02-04-2014 at 06:48 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome