SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Chines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"Chines come and were developed on solo racers"

Get real Paulo. Have you never seen a Star Class sailboat? Chines have been around forever. We had chines before anyone knoew what a "solo racer" was.
The TP52 is the most succesful of the box rule classes and they do not have chines. Be careful how you use the term "box rule" it is very specific. In fact the sterns of the fastest TP52's are what I'd call "anti-chine".
There is here a big confusion and I only understood why you were talking about chines to gain interior space in cruising boats when we talked about the Hunter 40 that use that old type of chines used on the 50's and 60's (on the waterline). I was never referring to those chines but to modern ones that started to be use some years back and that in fact were developed on solo racers. They are not used the same way regarding the hull shape.

Regarding TP52 and top crewed racing boats not using chines I have been saying that for a while and if you see my last post regarding your example of the two little wheels example you can see why. Let me remember how this discussion of chines started:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have posted this on another thread, that one already mentioned about chines:

I would like the collaboration of all regarding this subject, I mean if chines regarding solo boats, short crewed racing boats or long distance offshore racers seem to be a reality in modern top performance designs, in what regards top performance regatta boats things are not so clear and I would say that chines are not a performance option...or maybe they are and are not so widely used yet.

I would like to follow that trend here (regatta boats) and I ask the collaboration of all in what regards to have a look at new designs: are the chines an advantage in this case, or not? The answer relates in knowing if the chines relates with an absolute sailing performance or relates with a better control with a small loss of absolute performance, better control that in some cases can translate in better overall performance.

Only interested in very recent designs since only those will be relevant:

Just for starters:

The Farr 400 has chines:

The Ker 40 and the none of the TP 50 (that I know off) has chines:

I have been trying to explain what is obvious to me and that you have made clear with that example of the 2 little auxiliary wheels.

The interesting point for me is to know is what is at bold in the quoted post:to know if in racing crewed boats designed to have a balanced performance upwind and downwind, like the regatta boats for IRC or One design races, the chines are useful or not.

The rest is history, I mean their use in solo racers and cruisers are in plain view and they are used by the best NA with experience in chines. The interesting discussion is if they are useful on pure racing boats with a full crew and a balanced performance. That is where there are some boats with chines and many some without them. There is where the discussion is interesting.

By the way, the TP52 championship is sailed regatta style and has as much upwind sailing as downwind sailing. They can compete with narrower boats if they want. Designers don't make them because they would lose too much on the downwind legs regarding to what they can gain on the upwind ones.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook