SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I think you guys are selling chines. You act like car salesmen selling a tacked on spoiler. Are the chines built in China? Is that why you call them "chines"?

I'll say it slowly this time:
I have designed many boats with chines.
Once again:
I have designed many boats with chines.

This is my business. I am not a hobbyist.
I understand chines.
I understand chines

I have owned chined boats.
I have owned chined boats

There is a place for chines.I have said that all along.
I do not believe chines belong on every Mom and Pop boat.
If you guys need chines or training wheels so you can sail comfortably that's wonderful.

I am not interested in handicapping my own design with training wheels. I wil gladly let someone else design for the beginners who don't like to heel. If you need chines to be in fashion then great. Be in fashion. We know how long fashion lasts. Still got those Elton John shoes?

Your view is myopic. There are shapes for every kind of boat. Some benefit by chines and some don't. I agree. A high powered sport boat like the Farr 400 can benefit from chines. I guess. I don't hear much about the boat. You pick your performance target and you decide, "Will chines help the boat?" Some times the answer is "No. They will hurt the boat."

I am now going to leave this conversation. You see what you want to see. That works for you. Good. I work every day designing new boats. I have to do far more than speculate and guess. I have to produce and be very confident that what I produce works. That's the difference.

Tsia chien
Shin nien qui ler

Eric:
Unless we ever see a TP52 competing in the Route du Rhum or Vendé"e Globe, this design tells us very little about the possible advantages for fast but easy and shorthanded cruising, probably 99% of the boat market"

That is a really stupid statement. TP 52's were design for triangle courses. Does "99% of the boat market" sail in a Route du Rhum environment? I don't even know what to say to a statement like that. I do but I'm not going to.
Tsai chien
Gong hay fat choy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 02-04-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook