SailNet Community - View Single Post - 16 Months at adrift at Sea
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: 16 Months at adrift at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I originally ignored this story because I've heard them before.

When I saw a picture of this guy on TV here at home, I joined the growing sector of disbelievers.

I have spent several months at sea on my own on a well found boat with adequate food and water and I lost a quarter of my body weight just from irregular eating and missing meals for whatever reason and from the mild but constant exertion of being on a boat in the seaway.

In addition I was deeply tanned from spending just a part of my time in the sun.

Either this guy weighed 400lbs when he left home and had a really good hat or this whole story is BS.

My opinion and I'm sticking to it.
I agree it does seem a little far-fetched.

By coincidence, I've just finished reading "Desperate Voyage" that describes in great detail how to sail across the Pacific the hard way. Caldwell was only hours from starving to death (the "skin & bone/organ failure" type of starving to death!) and was only gradually brought back to health over several weeks by friendly natives after deliberately going ashore in Fiji.

Desperate Voyage: John Caldwell: 9780924486203: Amazon.com: Books Desperate Voyage: John Caldwell: 9780924486203: Amazon.com: Books

It's a good read. The guy was a complete idiot and admits as much.. but it's a good read and far too detailed to have been made up.

..but this OTOH.. seems a different story altogether.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-04-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook