SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repowering with an electric engine?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

[quote=Lou452;1381065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yea, the big issue is capacity. A gallon of diesel is equal to about a thousand pounds of batteries. So you get a few hours of range at best unless you put in a LOT of batteries. I would love it if it was practical. I sail on a boat with a dozen huge deep cycles and electric motor, it is nice to have instant on power, though surprisingly noisy. They normally sail on and off the dock anyway. (32 foot wooden boat) But it is only sailed very locally so you are not out of range of the batteries. It was done for ecological reasons, not cost, and they are wiling to live with the limitations.

How much does a keel weigh ? I can not see why a good boat engineer like Bob the grump is not looking at some ideas ? The engine could be made submersible and would not care how much pitch or roll was going on. The oil in the oil pan would not be sloshing with the low pressure light flashing. No thru hull for the cooling water or waste gas. fuel vents. and fill. holes. Boats do not need holes. What a plan for a blue water boat ? No fuel sloshing around the dirt in the bottom of the tank. The engine pulling in this dirt and stopping just when it is needed the most. I see possibility for the future ? Change the limitations ?
Good day, Lou
Well sure on a new boat design with an unlimited budget. Hybrid is more practical. But you are not going to replace a keel with batteries on a retro fit.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook