SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repowering with an electric engine?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

[quote=miatapaul;1381185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post

Well sure on a new boat design with an unlimited budget. Hybrid is more practical. But you are not going to replace a keel with batteries on a retro fit.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Batteries in a keel sump are a good idea from a weight and location perspective but a HORRIBLE idea from an electrical perspective.....

Batteries & water/extremely high moisture, bread crumbs, sand & dust rtc. never make a good mix. Some of the worst engines and battery banks I work on are below cockpit sole level. Other than an engine room a keel sump is the last place I would purposely design batteries to fit...

Also in colder climates with cold water or early or late in the season you can literally cut your capacity by 1/3 or more due to temps.. Batteries are rated at 80F and at 50F, or colder, will not put up the same Ah capacity....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook