SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Lionel lemonchois

I had posted about him recently. If you don't remember maybe you remember the sailor that was on the middle of the Atlantic on a capsized giant multihull?

Yes that was him. That was 8 days ago and he is still there waiting two more days. On this cold and hard winter, living upside down, he waits patiently the rescue team that is going to put again the trimaran on its feet before towing it. Tough these solo sailors

As you may recall he was trying to beat a record while things went wrong. He was interviewed and has told the story (translated):

"The boat was close hauled in 16-17 knots of wind. The wind was easing off. I was under full mainsail and jib. I decided to go to rest inside. I had not done that for several days. The wind returned. When I shocked the sails they did not went lose. The butts had dried around winches and remained stiff. It took a little time to let them, a few seconds...and then it was too late. A stupid and fatal accident.

... As there was a bit of swell and I was afraid that the broken mast could damage the mast from below. Quickly, I went into the water to cut the mast out in order to preserve the platform. There is nothing under the boat. The mast was not recoverable, it broke in two during capsize."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-05-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook