SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Pelican:
Nope I would not design a IMOCA boat with or without chines. I'm comfy here in my beach shack and I don't need the money that badly. But the real reason I would not take that job for any amount of money is that I have never done a boat like that and I'm not sure I would be the best person for the job. In a self indulgent way I'd like to do it but I would not be doing the client a favor. He can go to Farr and get more experience with that kind of boat. My interest is doing the boats I know I can do better than others, the boats I like to use myself. I'd love to sit in on the meetings Gabart would have with the designer he chose. That would be fun. I'd love to have access to all that design research money. For me, now, it's all about enjoying what I do and knowing I do it well.

I'd be happy to draw a boat for Beneteau. Not sure if I'd go with chines or not. It's not that simple a decision for me. I'd have to get into the preliminary design stage and take a look at the benefits offerred by chines if any. I might run some VPP's and compare a chine hull against a non chine hull. Maybe then move the chine around a bit and see if there are any significant changes in performance. The stuff I normally do with VPP's. I play. As I have said over and over I have designed boats with chines. I am not "anti chine" the simplistic way I am painted here. I just view the application of chines specific to the project and not as a blanket panacea recognizing that there are huge variations in chined hulls.

But you see, I could not take a job for Beneteau. I don't want to design Euro decks. I hate the bloated tennis shoe look. And again, I would not be good at that. There are other designers very good at that modern styling. I want to stay in my comfort zone.

The phones ringing,,,hold on,,,It's Beneteau.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
MrPelicano (02-06-2014), robelz (02-06-2014)