SailNet Community - View Single Post - Radar and AIS
Thread: Radar and AIS
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Gotta agree with you on that Fuzzy - Radar is nice, but the AIS system can be a real live saver. However, I would rather have both 3G radar and AIS on the plotter. I came real close to smacking some offshore rigging one night, and almost nailed a huge stake net in Chesapeake Bay off Tilghman Island, one that wasn't on the charts and two miles from shore. Got my attention, and AIS would have provided no benefit at all.

As for the guy trapped in poverty, that's crapola as far as I'm concerned. At age 50, he either doesn't want to work, or he something wrong upstairs. There are loads of jobs out there that pay pretty darned well, and they frequently go wanting because no one seems to want to start at the bottom and work their way up these days. "Yeah, I'll take the job if you make me chairman of the board." seems to be today's attitude. He could drive a garbage truck and make $45,000 a year in most medium sized cities, plus a retirement and benefit plan. Bet if you asked if he would mind driving a garbage truck he would look at you like you had three heads.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook