SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander Freeport 36
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander Freeport 36

The Islander Freeport 36 was designed as a couple's coastal cruiser (I think that's what Bob Perry mentioned once), but many people over the years have taken this boat to blue water conditions. The longest voyage I've kept track of in 7 years of an IF-36, was a boat called Aquilla owned my a Michael Rafferty. He sailed the boat on a Baha Ha Ha, then did a Pacific Puddle Jump. He made it as far as 80 miles off New Caladonia (On his way to New Zealand) before it sank because of the old style shaft seal leaked extensively, and his bilge pumps could not keep up with the leak. He experience a broken mast I believe on his way to Fiji, but was able to make repairs to continue on. Other than those two items he did not report any other problems with the IF-36 on his voyage.

Tom and Jeanne of s/v Eagle that was mentioned earlier, did experience very rough conditions coming down the coast of the PNW on their way to San Francisco a few years back (Bad NOAA weather report). They reported their IF-36 handled the conditions well, even though the large seas were cause for concern.

Another IF-36 owner in Florida has sailed his boat all over the Gulf of Mexico for several years, and reported often his boat did well in many conditions.

To date there is at least 124 IF-36s (13 A plans & 111 B plans) , 19 IF38Cs (Same hull as the 36), and 6 IF-36CCs (These were a very limited production) still operating that I know of, but the total number of these boats still in service may never be known. One was found being sold as far as the Canary Islands, one in England, and one in South America. The highest hull number for IF-36s found is #156, for IF-38Cs is #23, and for IF36CCs is #148.

What I can say about these boats is everyone that owns one appears to love them, and usually never sell them except for health or financial reasons.

FOGgers Owner and Moderator
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FOGgers/info

Last edited by JiffyLube; 02-06-2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook