SailNet Community - View Single Post - Magnetic Variance
View Single Post
post #52 of Old 02-06-2014 Thread Starter
Life is a wild ride!
Re: Magnetic Variance

Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Rarely do I ever hear anyone give a position in anything but lat/long. In Chesapeake Bay people will often say things like "off Lookout Pt" or "a mile east of red 34" but never have i heard anyone give an exact bearing in either true or magnetic. It might be important in theory and yes, I learned to do it like everyone else but it just doesnt come up very often in real life unless you are still firmly in a paper chart only universe. Most of us arent any more.

Sure, it is a good thing to be ready for disaster to strike but do you REALLY keep a dead reckoning going on a long passage when you can simply read off the lat/long whenever you like and write it in the log? I think a lot of folks are piously repeating what their lessons told them was "proper" but which is a lot of work for a less accurate result.

It is a good idea to remember WHY our teachers told us to do all these calculations. It was to know our position with as much accuracy as possible. Again, I can do it, but why would I waste time with that when I have 4 redundant GPS's which will tell me my position with 10ft. accuracy? It is especially pointless when I am hundreds of miles from land and seem to only rarely have a wind fair enough to head directly toward my goal.
I see the point you are trying to make but it is still a good thing to know. I happen to like paper charts. If "most" others don't, well, that's all well and good but has absolutely nothing to do with me or my own preferences. I also like the accuracy of GPS. I think they both have their place. I also think it a wise precaution to keep a track on a chart and knowing how to do these conversions is necessary in order to do that. You said you can do these calculations. Well, I'm just learning. As to the "why" I want to learn them, I explained that in my previous posts. Anything will be pointless if you see no value in it.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome