SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Interesting. Here's my perspective, and it's one from someone that if getting ready to take their first offshore passage with the Carib 1500 this year.

First is I don't understand the comparison with people saying this one is better etc etc. to my knowledge, they are both probably using the same weather services and although Carib makes a call for the fleet, they still say in big letters "it's the captains decision to leave" - just like the SDR..

Second, both have had issues. If I recall, didn't a woman die in the Carib a few years ago? Both I think are inherently, and equally dangerous. In the SDR you check your own safety, in the Carib, some guy comes on and sniffs around for 15 minutes.

Lastly, I think the potential for risk in the Carib is much much higher. You can take your ship on a 1500 mile offshore passage and your only experience has been lake sailing. The safety course is actually only recommended, not required. That leaves you with a massive massive experience gap. You are praying that they make the weather call right. At least in the SDR you have taken one offshore passage.

Then again, there is always delivery captains

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vtsailguy; 02-07-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook