SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Interesting. Here's my respective, and it's one from someone that if getting ready to take their first offshore passage with the Carib 1500 this year.

First is I don't understand the comparison with people saying this one is better etc etc. to my knowledge, they are both probably using the same weather services and although Carib makes a call for the fleet, they still say in big letters "it's the captains decision to leave" - just like the SDR..

Second, both have had issues. If I recall, didn't a woman die in the Carib a few years ago? Both I think are inherently, and equally dangerous. In the SDR you check your own safety, in the CRib, some guy comes on and sniffs around for 15 minutes.

Lastly, I think the potential f risk in the Carib is much much higher. You can take your ship on a 1500 mile offshore passage and your only experience have been lake sailing. The safety course is actually only recommended, not required. That leaves you with a massive massive experience gap. You are praying that they make the weather call right. At least in the SDR you have taken one offshore passage.

Then again, there is always delivery captains

Three boys, 200 sq ft of fiberglass, tropical beaches
www.sailingwithkids.net

VT - you're way off. Here's the standard of entry for the C1500:

"To join a World Cruising Club rally, you will need a seaworthy boat. We don't define the type of boat, but we do set some limits on boat length (see the FAQs in the rally pages), and we expect you and your boat to have completed an offshore passage in the year before the rally."

Preparing

So, it's roughly the same as the SDR, with more clarification that it be your boat and be within the past year. So, your statement that:

Quote:
Lastly, I think the potential f risk in the Carib is much much higher. You can take your ship on a 1500 mile offshore passage and your only experience have been lake sailing. The safety course is actually only recommended, not required. That leaves you with a massive massive experience gap.
Is pretty seriously flawed. And because the C1500 requires equipping the boat to their ISAF-based standard, along with a safety inspection - this "massive, massive experience gap" is definitely addressed in what I think is a very common sense way. It is not in the SDR.

So, again, if you're going to compare rallies, at least be accurate.

ALL THAT SAID....if you are speaking from personal experience, and all you have is lake sailing experience, and the C1500 knew this and let you in anyway...then that's a different matter completely that deserves some follow up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-07-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook