SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'm a bit confused by your statements. Why would you even think of folding a sail "when double handed in heavy seas"? When we had to pull the Yankee off in a full gale in the stream NPort-Bermuda, we stuffed it (not even bagged) below in the salon (no way I was opening the foredeck hatch in those conditions) and we slept on it (quite comfortably, I might add) until the wind calmed enough to reset it. Of course, we turned down wind to drop and stow it, but really, folding a sail underway has never occurred to me; stuff, stow n go, at the most.
Abandon the genny? Why not just drag it down the deck (again, running off to ease the situation) and stuff it down the companionway into the salon, and bag it down there? I'm just not rich enough to be throwing sails over the side.
Well, the Genny is huge. Even on the side deck, it will lie almost back to the cockpit and there would be zero room for you. Without some form of folding, you would never jam it down the companionway, let alone any hatch. She's a monster. Much bigger than the main. I know this because we barely got her down when we did fold her on deck and dropped it coming down the companionway. It exploded into a big mess and had to be jammed up the stairs to get it out. A proper flaking is impossible on our deck. Not enough room.

Just to repeat, I reference a blown out genny, when I said I would consider abandoning. Understanding that could take many forms, I was thinking of a trashed sail that was flogging and catching wind incorrectly, so that it had to come down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook