Thread: Radar and AIS
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Radar and AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Just read the whole thread. I'm really looking forward to following the discussions here someone said something about slaving a unit to a laptop would that also be possible to go to the tablets with their quirky os. ( they are cheaper in the range of under 200 bucks )
With the appearance of Windows 8.1, tablets can be a lot less "quirky" and run Windows programs natively.

I always thought that slaving a tablet to a separate computer was a kludge. I know some people would swear by it, but with Windows 8.1 on a tablet, you have the option of running the whole program in the tablet.

I recently purchased the Lenovo Miix 2 8" tablet for the sole purpose of running OpenCPN in my cockpit. It has an amazingly bright screen and also has a GPS built in. I'll get AIS data from my GX2150 radio wirelessly via Bluetooth. I've been doing this on a netbook for 4 years, but the netbook is showing signs of wear (buttons wearing out), so the tablet will be a nice upgrade that is even more portable than the netbook.

I don't have radar at this point, so I can't comment on that. This year I plan to get a Bluetooth anemometer and display to apparent/actual wind data within OpenCPN.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook