SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
One point you all seem to be missing on "big boats" is that many have work shops and the tools to repair and/or fabricate items onboard. On one larger vessel I operated, if I needed a part, I could just go down into the engine room, crank up the lathe, the welder and the drill press and fabricate it, even at sea. We always carried stock aboard and could create anything from an engine part to that gooseneck someone mentioned above. We could weld a crack in a boom or mast, fabricate a scuba tank holder or even make a bolt by threading rod and using two nuts, right there onboard. That definitely cuts the costs of operating a bigger vessel.
Well, that's a valid point, I suppose...

But as for me, stepping up in size would end well before I'd reached the point where I could have a virtual machine shop on board, in order to save money by fabricating my own bolts... :-)

I believe I could manage quite nicely by ripping out the berth in the starboard quarter cabin on a Sweden 390, and converting that space into a utility room/workshop and day head/wet locker...

Until then, a Zyliss vise mounted on a work board in the cockpit of my little tub will have to do... :-)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook