SailNet Community - View Single Post - Major Damage!
Thread: Major Damage!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
Pictures

Ok, here we go. Attached are the pictures. I stuck a screw driver in the crack for size/placement reference. The other pictures of the keel are to show that there is no apparent ( ) damage around the keel. The portion of the hull material that is hanging down on each side of the crack is about 1/4 " thick. I could not see any hair-line crack inside the larger crack. The yard is not suggesting that we remove the keel, or even do destructive inspection around it. They say that all they need to do is remove the loose material, grind around it, build it back up, fair it and paint it. If that's the case, I could do that myself!

I've inspected inside the hull where the crack is and I can't see any evidence of damage. I've been all under the cabin sole and have inspected the stringers and bulkheads. None show any signs of the hull flexing. The mast is stepped well aft of where the crack is. It seems to me that if the keel was twisting around enough to cause a crack of this type, there would also be evidence around the keel in other places.

Anyway, here are the pics. The bottom has already been sanded and is ready for paint. Comments welcome:

Last edited by jr438234606; 04-24-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook