SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
post #89 of Old 02-09-2014
outbound

Re: Sailing "big boats"

Was not speaking specifically about us. But we are relative newbies. I've done multiple Newport / Marion Bermuda s. A few N.E. Bahamas caribe transports. Wife was live aboard summers on a motorboat growing up but other than non stop N.E. to Annapolis and a Norfolk to N.E. she just done local coastal cruising. She's seen some weather and did well. In two weeks she'll get BVi to Nassau done with I expect two 3-4d passages during that trip. So far other than docking 46' has not been intimidating and definitely if it's a well made and well found boat size equals safety in my view. That's why I was curious to Jon's view. As you mentioned on basis of simple physics that's going to be true. So question is his view of what size is not handable by mom and pop. Think we're nothing special and a fairly typical cruising couple starting out. What I see are similar couples in boats mid 40-mid50 range. Hylas,HR,Outbound, Passport, or older Swans,Bristols,Hinkleys etc. Seems these couples travel. Bigger seem jet set crowd with paid crew. Smaller seems get to an area and stay. Realize this is a gross generalization with many exceptions. Wondering if my impression based on little knowledge is accurate. Also Europeans coming over seem also to mostly be in the same size range. Kids are grown and gone so we don't have your joy of live aboard crew.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 02-09-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome