SailNet Community - View Single Post - Magnetic Variance
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Magnetic Variance

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Yes, but it doesn't seem so, eh? I presume you remember Valhalla? (Sally Stanford's gin joint/bordello in the cove on the south end of Sausalito.) That was a good time, eh? (If you recall, Sally ran for, and was elected, mayor on the grounds that since politicians all proved to be whores anyway, the public should have the right to know they were voting for one to begin with. She actually did a pretty good job.)
Oh, yes, I remember her well, good fodder for the papers at that time. We kept our boat at Fisherman's Warf, a ladder & two pilings to tie up to, "what float?"

Later we kept our sailboat at Clipper Yacht Harbor, basin # 2 for ten years. We called it "cyclone alley" in the afternoons during the summer. One chance to get it docked right, one chance.

OK, here is a memory challenge for you. Who was the really big heavy hippie woman that always wore a MuMu and ran a restaurant, in North Beach, I think, then later moved it to Sonoma? Something like "Big Momma"?

Your prize will be determined later.

Paul T

Senior moment flash? Anita's Galley? or something like that?

Another flash: Juanita Munson? Juanita's Place, Galley? IIRC, a lot of the San Francisco "movers & shakers", like Herb Caen & Melvin Belli used to go there. As a telephone repair man, I went to Melvin Belli's residence, a "Community Apartment", now called Condos, I think. Very interesting person.

Bingo:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...es-2528141.php

Paul T

Last edited by dabnis; 02-09-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook