SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Comet 62

And surprise... surprise, it is a Cat

I knew already that they were going to propose cats on their line and I was very interested and curious. Well my curiosity was satisfied in Dusseldorf and beautiful boats they are, designed by Marc Lombard. They have there models of the two first ones, a 62 and a 37. Let's look at the 62 :

And cats will not be the only news on Comet (Comar shipyard), they will be Carbon boats. I had already heard some comments coming from Comar about building carbon boats with the proper tools and techniques not to be a very dificult or even considerably more expensive than building epoxy vinylester infused boats. Well I can only hope that will not only be true but also that they will decide to expand that technique and materials to the monohull line

They say about the new cat line:

"Comar’s 2014 begins flying the Cat banner “because they are comfortable, easy to handle and control and because we are keen on the idea of creating a multihull with a fast and aggressive profile yet maintaining the comfort below deck. We noticed an affinity in Marc Lombard’s designs with the present Comet range in production and hence collaboration with Marc seemed a natural choice for the start-up of this new range which, starting with a Comet Cat 62 will then move on to an 82’ and a 37’ "

I will hope that affinity from Comar with Marc Lombard will mean also that the next Comet Monohulls will be designed by Marc. I cannot wait to see a Comet monohull design by him. Comet monohulls stands for performance cruising and also regatta and offshore racing and now that short crew racing has becoming bigger and bigger in IRC, a very polivalent boat, able to be good at performance cruising, good at short crew racing and good at full crew racing makes all the sense. Marc Lombard is one of the few Na that design such a boat, competitive in several sectors.

Data for COMET 62 CAT: LOA: 18.97m LWL: 18.80m BOA: 10.23m Beam in between axes hull: 7.20m Forward freeboard: 2.20m Light Displacement: 17.00t Light CE Displacement: 18.50t Full Loaded Displacement: 25.00t Draught (board down): 3.58m Draught (board up): 1.62m Total height / Dwl: 28.70m mast Height: 26.40m Sail Area - Main: 130 mē - Solent selftacking: 74.5 mē - Furling genoa: 102 mē - Code 0: 130 mē - Staysail: 60 mē - gennaker: 160 mē - Spi assy: 300 mē Diesel Engines 2 x 75 HP Fresh water tanks: 2 x 600l Gas Oil Tanks: 2 x 300l carbon spars, PBO rigging and Spectra Construction Composite sandwich carbon / epoxy (Hull / Deck / Main bulkheads) crossbeam construction: composite carbon epoxy Accomodation, floorboards, furnatures: sandwich wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-09-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook