SailNet Community - View Single Post - planning to buy: steel hull / wooden deck
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014

freebirdsailing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to freebirdsailing
planning to buy: steel hull / wooden deck

Hi there, I found a wonderful boat. It's a Koopmans 37 "Ocean Racer", build in Holland in 1984, very well maintained and equipped. The only thing I don't like is the fact that her hull is made of steel while her deck is made from marine plywood & fiberglass (resting on steel frames) covered by a teak deck. I have owned 2 steel boats by now, and I am comfortable to accept the necessary maintenance routine. What I am afraid of is the combination steel / wood. Isn't there always rust where steel and wood meet? And aren't these areas always most difficult to reach? Her famous designer chose this composite construction method to save weight. And he succeeded: less deck weight, less ballast resulting in 7 tons total weight for 37 feet.
Does anyone of you have some experience in this regard? I am flying to France in 2 weeks to see the boat and possibly buy her. So I am most grateful for any advise you might have.
Cheers,
freebirdsailing

ps: u fortunately my post count is 2, and as I just learnt from the forum rules I can only post a picture with a post count of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.1 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook