SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repowering with an electric engine?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
someday the sail might be a panel ? yes I know it is not today
We did not go to the moon by thinking it can not be. No WAY
We do not sail to be practical. No one needs to sail in todays world
I am just having fun I hope others are doing the same.
Kind regards , Lou
Well yes, but the original poster was asking about putting in an electric motor using today's technology, not with the technology that may some day happen, but just as likely not. Sure super expensive yachts owned by rich folks that want to say they are green, even though they lead a excessively consumption centered life will be able to afford them. Will it ever be likely to put a solar sail on a $15,000 sail boat, I doubt it. And it would mean for you to get a charge you would need to keep the sail up, not going to happen. Heck it is marginal to even rebuild the motors on these boats let alone put in whole new systems.

So today, can you put an electric motor in place of an inboard, yes. You can but you will need shore-side electric to charge it. You will have very short range as in just a couple of hours. and it will cost about the same as a diesel. If you have the skills and access to parts you might save a bit by using a used motor and controller. I sail on a boat frequently that uses electric power and it severely limits range and they have a huge battery bank (a dozen 120 pound batteries) on a 32 foot boat. They did it for ecological reasons, not financial. I doubt there is much ecological gain, after you factor in all the lead and acid in the batteries and the coal burned to create the electricity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook