SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pictures: Those perfect moments
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Scilla

I am grateful to an Italia member that pointed it to me on the interesting boat thread. It is a lovely town at the enter of Messina strait.

You can stay at anchor in front of the beach, I mean, in front of the rocks because in Italia the police doesn't allow you to stay in front of a beach or on a paid buoy on the other side of the town (there the bottom is rock). Not very comfortable (strong currents) but enough for settled weather if you don't mind to rock a little at night.

The place is famous and known since antiquity:
The promontory is well described by Strabo as a projecting rocky headland, jutting out boldly into the sea, and united to the mainland by a narrow neck or isthmus, so as to form two small but well sheltered bays, one on each side. There can be no doubt that this rocky promontory was the one which became the subject of so many fables, and which was represented by Homer and other poets as the abode of the monster Scylla.

At a later period Anaxilas, the despot of Rhegium, being struck with the natural strength of the position, fortified the rock, and established a naval station there, for the purpose of checking the incursions of the Tyrrhenian pirates. In consequence of this a small town grew up on the spot; and hence Pliny speaks of an oppidum Scyllaeum; but it was probably always a small place, and other writers speak only of the promontory. At the present day the rock is still occupied by a fort...

Wiki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook