SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bayfield 32C Survey Results :)
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007

sailh34 is on a distinguished road
Normally, as part of a survey, I thought that an estimated value was placed on the boat. It was my impression that this was done so that you can submit this to the insurance companies and mortgage companies as justification for the boats value. I have used two different surveyors and they both included an estimated value in the final report. I would ask if this was going to be part of the final report (for insurance purposes, etc).

Also, if you are concerned about value of the boat, you can check online at N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide Company and BUC.com – boats for sale, boat values, yacht charters (free but you have to register). Our last surveyor used buc , but it was more comprehensive than the free internet account. Others here will have to speak to the accuracy of these listed values, and how to determine your boats condition, etc. The buc value seemed pretty close to what we paid for our boat though.

If you look up the buc value for a 1983 Bayfield, then it is a good amount less than the listed price on that yachtworld link you attached. That could be a function of there not being a large base of numbers to establish this or some other factor. It could mean that they are asking too much as well (may be difficult to resell in the future without a loss) - I would research it a little more. Check all Bayfield 32's listed on Yachtworld currently and you may draw the same conclusion. When all is said and done though, the value of the boat is what you are willing to pay for it and how much you want it - that is what is most important - that you are happy with it in the end.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook