Join Date: Nov 2000
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 16
Best Centerboard Designed Boats
I see a lot of people discussing centerboarders which I have always been very sttracted to due to their capability to go gunkholing but still be able to drop the board down and really increase stability and windward ability. But I have no experience with these boats. I have never owned one or sailed on one.
Here are my questions
1) How are the centerboards raised and lowered? Is it hard to do? Do they all swing down on a pivot or do some slide down (like a daggerboard)?
2) Are there different designs? What is there to look out for ? What is the maintanence? Will they last the life of the boat? Are they troublesome?
3) Can I sail with the centerboard partially down if I want?
4) What are the best designed Centerboard boats out there? Which ones are the boats that are to be avoided? Why don''t we see more boats manufactured with swing centerboards?...It seems like the ideal configuration for cruisers that like "thin water" anchorages.
5) Any other comments?...Pro''s Con''s