SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I have read this thread and find some of the replies farcical. To the point of nearly calling BS. ...........One man can not carry a 100% well folded and packed cruising head sail for an average 65 footer, let alone a wet sail newly doused. To be able to get that sail down and stowed in any kind of sea would be a legendary feat of strength. But very doable if the sail is on and left on a fuller.
Who ever said they could carry such a sail ? I cant even carry many of the sails on my 45 footer.

I don't have a problem dropping a hanked on sail, I find it's much easier and quicker to claw down a luffing headsail than to try and furl it. Usually the hanked on headsail drops itself with just a man on the halyard winch controlling the drop and timing it with the roll to keep it inboard. Thatís especially so for the high clewed Yankee, you can drop the yankee well inboard easily and you can also pull the clew in close to the centreline with the lee sheet if you want. The big 100% jib is harder especially in a blow and needs a hand pulling the leech inboard and someone pulling down on the luff while another controls the halyard and another or the autopilot on the helm..... So we tend not to.......it's called keeping it easy Sailing short handed I just donít use a large jib or Genoa only the Yankee and the staysail together.

We didnít even hank the No 1 on our last passage, I donít push the boat, Iíd rather be comfortable, keep the heel down and reduce the motion and loads on gear, and still make good enough passages. and the Staysail and Yankee fill enough of the fore triangle to keep most people happy.

The outer jibs are a Yankee and the large 100% Jib hank on to their own forestays (which are side by side). They stay hanked on when at sea and are just raised and lowered. Itís a good system and I'm very happy with that arrangement. There are bulwarks with a stainless steel tube rail atop that the sail slides over the bags can be atached to the bulkwark and the sail dropped into the bag with it's clew tack and head still connected and zipped up or just lashed to the bulwark if it's going back up after a short lived front.

I can drag large sails around the deck and hank them on easily enough on a 65' ketch but that's a benefit of a split rig. My light air nylon sails are easily carried of course.

You can also rig a downhaul on any sail if you find it doesnít slide freely but I only rig that for the main to the 2nd reef luff position.

And sailing with a decent crew is magnificent and you can really play with sails, poles, spinnakers and all. Raising and lowering sails to really work the wind to the max in the daylight But I still drop to high cut 'working' sails overnight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook