SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
My impression is some times owner is on board with delivery captain. May be necessary for insurance reasons or owner's desire for experienced, skilled crew. Some of these boats are actively sailed. Don't have sense of how often this occurs but know folks who do the annual migration to eastern Caribe with a captain. Be interesting to know Jon's experience.
I've never done an offshore delivery with an owner aboard...

Although I've always tried to avoid such trips, most of my experience with owners aboard has been generally pretty positive... I managed to go years and years without ever having to do a trip with the owner, but nowadays that the Good Times aren't Rolling like they used to, a delivery skipper might on occasion have to make some concessions, if he wants to have steady work. With new owners starting out with bigger and bigger boats all the time, I have most definitely seen a big jump in owners wanting to use a delivery as a learning/training experience... For example, last summer I helped a couple run their new 47-footer the length of Chesapeake Bay... It was their FIRST BOAT, and one of the things they needed was a captain to sign off on 24 hours worth of 'training' for their insurance company... In the past couple of years, I've also done deliveries for a handful of other owners along for a portion of the ride, who were jumping into sailing with a first boat in excess of 40 feet, seems to be the way of the world, these days...

I must admit, most of these coastal trips with owners aboard have turned out fine... Actually, my biggest complaint usually turns out to be the weight gain I usually suffer, from being so well fed, or eating so many meals ashore during the course of the trip... Last fall I did a trip with the owner along from Annapolis down to Charleston, he happens to be the owner of a couple of very fancy restaurants in Vail, CO... So, with the exception of the first overnight sailing down the bay, every night for the remainder of the trip was spent at marinas, seeking the best restaurant we could find. As soon as the boat was secured and cleaned up for the night, the first bottle of a very fine wine would be opened, while our dining options were discussed... Incredibly decadent trip, I definitely tacked on more than a few ounces around the middle, probably should have added a Weight Gain Surcharge onto my invoice... :-)

I could easily manage taking my own boat down South for the winter and back, for less than what was spent on food and drink alone on this trip :-) But the owner is a wonderful guy, really enjoyed his company, and we were fortunate to have had some fantastic - albeit a bit chilly - sailing along the way...

He's thinking of making the switch to power, as he's tired of motoring most everywhere he goes, so he really enjoyed the sailing we did... And, unlike some owners I've traveled with, he actually remained awake, and on deck, for much of the time... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-11-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook