SailNet Community - View Single Post - Killer Tiller
Thread: Killer Tiller
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

I sail a Freedom 21, with a 5 hp Honda and tiller. I have the motor swivel tightened down so it won''t rotate except with alot of effort. I use the tiller to steer. I have a fixed line on the dock which I grab at the last second and place it over the starboard stern cleat which stops the boat. I think aloy of dock-boat situations have a system which can be devised like this so one can have enough boat speed to steer and a fixed line that will stop the boat in the same place every time. After placing the line on the cleat I grab the bow line which has been led to the cockpit and step onto the dock. When away from my home port I usually have my wife to help and or people on the dock. To sum up, you come in with enough speed to steer (which varies due to conditions), and grab a line on the dock which you afix to your boat to stop it. Or sometimes you can take a line fixed to your boat and place it over a cleat or post on the dock to stop it. During the final manuever I never hit reverse on the motor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook