SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
I like to compare the size question to this:

Would you rather be driving a scooter or a full sized vehicle on the interstate highway?
Doug
I don't think it is a good comparison, as bad as comparing a bus with a Porsche on the interstate highway.

You could compare on the interstate a small family car with a big limo but that is not fair also because the limo is not more difficult to drive or handle, at least on the interstate, while a bigger boat can (or not, depending of size and type of boat).

I believe that for most regarding big boats the main issues and questions are:

How big can I sail solo or with my wife comfortably?

How will the size of a big boat affect maintenance and marina costs?

How that size will affect the ability to put in and out the boat from marinas and ports alone or just with a bit of help from my wive?

How much that big size will affect availability of marina and port spaces on the cruising grounds I will sail?

How much I will gain in speed regarding a less expensive to maintain and easier to maneuver (at the marina) boat?

How much space and carrying load do I really need for the type of sailing and life-style (use of the boat) I have or want?

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-11-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook